Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol - Country Week - notes

Every week, I take notes on American Idol Contestants, offer them advice and create videos for them after the show, which I post on my website and on Youtube.

I've decided to include some of my notes on my blog. You can read the rest of my advice to EVERY CONTESTANT since this season has begun, on my website!

Lil Rounds

Says she’ll hold back on the r&b cuz it's country week.
Martina McBride – Independence Day

Randy Travis slowed it down a bit. Interesting tip.
My Reactions – Okay girl, take it away! There we go, by the end of vs 1, you’re telling a story now. Keep telling the story cuz you know you got the voice... so it’s about taking the audience on a journey. How do you feel about what you’re singing? A nice solid full, dedicated last note. You did good my sista. I’m not so thrilled with the song choice though, but hearing you singing it was a treat.

Randy –struggled at the front for him – didn’t feel comfortable for him. Was “all right.”
(Lil – don’t worry about answering him or standing up for yourself. I’m glad you didn’t do “I will Always Love you.” Everybody does that song on Idol.)

Kara – we all know you’re a great singer so it’s about you doing what you felt and that’spart about being an artist – gave you props.

Paula – said vocals were spot on, hair, make up and clothing and the only thing – 1 verse would have went better....

Simon – it came over that she was forced to sing a song somebody requested and felt uncomfortable. I disagree with Simon. Said it just wasn’t you. He’s WRONG and I believe it's a stereotype. It's about how committed you are to each part of the song.

My Advice – they all need to be more patient. It wasn’t about cutting out a verse, it was about your commitment to the part of the song that should build. You kept it a little “even keel”instead of building in intensity as the song went on into the chorus. They wouldn’t have felt that way if you were COMPLETELY PRESENT as you sang, so next time, just stay committed to the song – and yeah you could have picked a better one, but honey, you sold it to me! You always provide excitement and satisfaction when you sing!



Adam Lambert
Johnny Cash

My comments– I like what you’re doing with the song cuz you’re making it yours. Yeah baby. I Loved it. So dramatic. LOL. Dat’s hawt!

Kara – all a little strange – got the drama she loves from him and eyes. Strange but... she liked it. Confused and happy.

Paula – Says you stand out and you are true to who you are as an artist – Although it’s country music week – great choice of song, liked sitar, Not sure if you're a quick study and born natural and raising your own bar each week. (Excellent comments Paula)

Simon – (is gonna rip on it)... yep. He said, “What the hell was that?” Says people are throwing their TV’s out the window. Said it was "indulgent rubbish." Said it was horrific. Not it wasn't!

Randy – Greatest thing about it was CURRENT, YOUNG, FRESH, HOT!

My advice –Yes, Randy and Paula are correct. (never listen to Simon. He just pretends to be an idiot). Sweetie, part of me wants to just see you win already. Because you are a true ARTIST and you know how to use your voice and you know what is unique about it. Just get over the relaxed tongue thing. There are moments when you’re singing that I feel like you’re in a vocalize. I know you’ve had vocal training and that’s fab. When you practice, make your drills.....

Click here to read more.

No comments: