Monday, November 15, 2010
"Knowledge is power. You guys all deserve to study with a great coach who can help you take your voice to the next level, but many of you don't know what that *really* means. It pains me to hear horror stories about coaches who caused students to get vocal nodules, or others who were mentally and emotionally abusive. Hopefully this video will help you be wise in your choosing and you will find a great match. Remember, you're worth it! Hopefully these tips are useful. Share your favorite vocal coach story with me in the comments and feel free to ask any questions!"
- Dot Todman, Los Angeles Vocal Empowerment Coach
THE 10 "DO'S" OF A GOOD VOCAL COACH
1. Someone who connects with you. They understand you and what you're about
2. Someone who cares about your goals and listens to you.
3. Someone who knows the physiology of the voice and helps achieve proper technique.
4. Someone who assesses you and give you honest feedback.
5. Someone who can educate you about all aspects of your Vocal Heath. (mental, emotional and physical).
6. Someone with a Reputable Website!
7. Someone who understands body language and stage presence.
8. Someone who will bring out your Authenticity.
9. Someone who encourages you to get through your walls or "blocks."
10. Someone who makes it fun!
THE 10 DON'TS of a GREAT VOCAL COACH
1. Someone who name drops to get your money (it's different if you ask them.)
2. Someone who preaches their way is the only way or the "only method" that works.
3. Someone who has bad vibes, or gives you a feeling that you are not "safe" around them to grow as a singer, actor or speaker.
4. Someone who encourages you to push your voice.
5. Someone who wants you to mimic them only & is limited in style & genre.
6. Someone who does not know how to give you the genre or style you want.
7. Someone who laughs at you (not with you) in a negative way.
8. Someone how denigrates you.
9. Someone who reflects back negativity (which might be your own.)
10.Someone who rushes you or makes you feel rushed and not *present.*